Sunday, August 31, 2014

Overcome

I went for a walk in the forest today. A forest I have been walking in for many years, but haven't walked in for a good while.  As I deepened into the familiar paths, I was overcome with a deep sadness. 

My daughter and I have walked these paths hundreds of times before, since she was a little girl.  She is currently dealing with deep internal challenge! I see her struggle with herself, with her world, every day. As I walked I heard her lightness, her spirit, her innocence, her laughter. In this playground she used to search for gnomes and faeries, mossy men and wild mushrooms, under unfurling ferns, between cracked rocks, hollow tree trunks and next to streams.

 Tears streamed as I walked with these memories. Time moves so quickly and waits for none of us.  Everything is now. NOW.

 Allowing space and freedom for all feelings to rise, surface, breathe and subside...this is what came...



Overcome
walking the paths
your little firm feet used to follow

overcome
by the familiar scents and sounds

frog songs
baboon bark
water whisper
envelop me in waves of nostalgia

overcome
recalling this flood of memories
 I sit on wet earth cushioned with pine needle beds
crunchy old leaves
bark bits and branches

butterflies and gnats wizz and whirl in soft forest light
poetically perfect

a wild array of trees in all shades of green
lean in and wrap themselves around my bleeding heart
as your earth swallows my silent tears

alone

just pulse
breath
eyes and skin

I hear your happy heart songs trickle down the tannin stained stream
I hear your muted freedom songs echo in the breeze

alone

No comments:

Post a Comment